You may recall a previous post titled Sanitizer Mishap, where I had discovered a new found respect for sanitizer after Ty destroyed my new table with it. Well, although devastated at the time, I got over it, and it really wasn't all that bad. Ty wasn't satisfied. Having reached the "Terrible Two's" that everyone talks about, he is into everything. If I don't jump the second he asks for something and get it, he takes matters into his own hands. He can climb on anything. So the other day while I was feeding Cody, Ty found some pretty finger nail polish. He had seen me use it a couple days before, and had actually talked me into painting one of his fingers. I regret that now. He decided that he was going to paint his own fingernails. Although he didn't follow my example and have something under his hand before he started, and he decided to use my brand new, slightly marked up, table to work on. While he did paint his fingernails, and his hands, and his clothes, he also managed to coat my table pretty good too. Now if you thought sanitizer was a good destroyer, it is nothing compared to finger nail polish. In the few minutes it was on my table, it took the paint right off. Other places are still decorated with the pretty red color. All day I saw that nail polish sitting on the counter, and I didn't think anything of it. I never told Ty he couldn't play with nail polish. Now I am really devastated! My slightly marked up table now looks like a piece of Ty's artwork. Any more ideas?

9 comments:
Wow that stinks Becca. I think Noah is just getting to that age as well, so we need to LOOK OUT!
That's really awful becca! We are having the same issues with Noah-- he broke our tv the other day by pushing it off the tv stand. I'm just praying this next one isn't a boy because I need a break!!! Good luck with the table. The only thing I would think you could do is actually strip it and restain the whole thing :(
Shucks. When I was a kid, I loved getting into my mom's nail polish and nail polish remover (because I just loved how they smelled. Yes, I was a sniffer). I'd use them to strip the eyes off my Barbie and then paint over them the nail polish (Probably why my sis doesn't like them Barbies).
Stripping and restaining the table is hard work (because you have to sand the thing, too) but it definitely is worth the effort.
I can't believe that! That is terrible! I have no idea what to do to fix the table :(. I think your blog is so cute and I look forward to seeing more posts. We hope to see you guys soon! Tell Ryan hi for us!
Oh Becca,
Someday you'll laugh about this. I'll help you redo the table!
Love you,
Mom
I don't think you should redo the table. I think you should keep leaving little things around the house to see what creative things Ty can do to the table. Then in a few years you'll have an awesome looking table! When you have a nice dinner you can use a table cloth.
A mom's worst nightmare! EEK! I think your only hope is refinishing it:(
Oh I am so sad for you! I have the same table, and I am sorry, I am NOT impressed. I am so careful to not let spilled water sit on it and it still has little warped spots, and some air freshner oil spilled and took the black right off as well. We eventually had a glass top made for it (just an idea!) also, RC willey said they would check with the manufacturer about ordering some of the black stain for touch ups. They never got back to me, but maybe we should both try again LOL! I am SO sorry, I understand your devastation!
Chrissy Balzly
Oh my heck Becca I am dying! I was dying about the sanitizer and now this. AHHH!!! Yah refinish, and good luck with that! Ü
Post a Comment